Saturday, November 10, 2012

In search of the Sarris Family



Entrance to Cemetery
Seems like the descendants of my grandfather George Sarris' family pretty much left this village long ago - couldn't even find any of them in the cemetery. But my grandfather's brothers died 40+ years ago, and in village cemeteries bones are exhumed and relocated in boxes to make room for others.

There is still one possible relative to seek out, actually the same person that I spoke with when I visited 40 years ago! It seems like I will indeed learn more this evening when the kafeneion in the upper village section Vrisi opens. (Kiparissi also has Paralia and Mitropolis sections.)

Meanwhile I and my erstwhile hostess Stella from hotel went up to look at the mills above the village, one of which was owned by my great-grandfather Nicolaos Sarris. Turns out that there were originally 6 mills (only remnants of 4 remain), and the Sarris mill was the first built, in 1821. There is a house near that mill owned by the family and in need of repair.

Paralia Beach
Walked all along the Paralia section beach, which is covered with small pebbles not sand. Picked up a few pebbles to bring home before going to the bakery for a few goodies -- and to make sure that at 6 am Monday I can pay the bus driver directly for the trip to Molaos. (Then on to Sparti, Kalamata and Koroni!)

Horta & Smelts!
And, yes, lunch at the Trocadero where I again had fresh horta along with fried smelts. Got some more info from Mr. Vorlis - it seems that everyone is interested in giving me info. And it's Saturday in a Greek Village; people will go out for a coffee/dinner at their local whatever and hang out. But before I go out, a short nap..

"Beautiful Kiparissi" Kafeneion (Vrisi)
P.S. Indeed, I later ventured up to the kafeneion in Vrisi, which seems to turn into the local restaurant at night. There I met a man to had written a book entitled "My Village" about Kiparissi; he was familar with the Sarris Family. More info to add to my notes on this once-isolated village turned tourist destination and how it developed after Greek Independence. Unfortunately, no more copies of the book were available..


Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments:

Post a Comment