Friday, February 21, 2014

St. Sophia Greek Festival opens in Miami -- OPA!

Just sitting here waiting for the 2nd cooking class in "Yiayia's Kitchen" at the St. Sophia 36th Annual Greek Festival, "Experience a Greek Odyssey!"

The kids are dancing up a storm, while I eat my dinner: Ouzo with a rather large dipla (thinly rolled fried dough, drizzled with honey and sprinkled with nuts and cinnamon). That was my favorite Greek sweet made by my Yiayia Sarris, along with melomacarona. However, I always asked for well-cooked, naked ones (NO syrup, etc.) She never quite understood my addiction to crispy, crunchy, and burnt whatevers -- but she cheerfully complied, even sending me some melomacarona in a shoe box when I spent a semester at Drew University in New Jersey!

Making avgholemono soup
I did preface that strange meal with samples of avgholemono (egg-lemon) soup, spinach pie and baklava at the wonderful 5 o'clock cooking class. Three women (one with her 2 sisters!) showed us the ropes, plus a few secrets. Notice the great portable stove they used...Did you know that you sprinkle some water on both the scored spinach pie and baklava before baking so the filo edges won't curl? And don't forget to cover your unused filo as you work with a damp kitchen towel so it won't dry up and tear!

Next class features "village pita" -- with surprisingly flaky home-made crusts like my Yiayia Xanttopulos from Naoussa used to make...So much to learn, cook, and eat a la Greque -- OPA!

Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments:

Post a Comment