Thursday, July 25, 2013

Chicago Jimmy = Koroni Convent?

All roads lead to Koroni -- seriously!

It would be good enough just to eat a meal  at my favorite Chicago Greek restaurant, Rodytis -- and chat with Jimmy the Manager, whom I've known for about 10 years.

Jimmy Kalogeropoulos
This time a little more chatting lead to the inevitable, "Where is your family from?" When I mentioned Koroni, he basically said: "I'm from Messinia and my aunts were nuns in the convent  above Koroni for 40+ years." Yes, that very same convent started by a monk related to Yiayia Sarris and which she wanted to join. He got his other aunt Stamata (now in Chicago) on the phone for a chat. She was glad to hear that the convent -- which has undergone some turmoil -- is open, so she can go visit again. Jimmy said I made her day, but he made mine! 

Jimmy Kalogeropoulos (from Loutro) lights a candle at the convent every time his goes to Greece. He said he'd like to take me around Messinia if we are there same time. After this conversation, who knows?

Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments:

Post a Comment